‘I’ve been on many whale watching trips on other boats on Monterey Bay over the years. I liked this one the best by far. The staff were really genuinely nice and knowledgable, without the “we’re so cool attitude” I’ve experienced with other companies. And this boat was the most comfortable. And unlike the companies running out of Monterey, you get to park right in front of the boat. Very easy, especially with kids.’
We operate whale watching trips year-round. We’re a small, owner-operated business with one boat dedicated to whale watching and private charters. Prices, tour start times and durations vary throughout the year so please check our trip dates and times.
Please arrive 20 minutes before departure for check-in and safety instructions. Trips depart on time and usually arrive on time (we’ll often stay out a bit later than scheduled if we encounter something particularly spectacular and need more time to check it out).
- Dress for snow! You can always remove layers during the tour if it’s too warm. It’s usually about 10 degrees cooler on the water than land.
- Wide-brimmed hat, close-toed shoes (no heels!), and sunglasses
- Cameras (don’t forget to charge your batteries and bring extra memory cards!)
- Food! We have a small snack bar on board but you’re welcome to bring your own as well. *Due to COVID-19 we will not offer our usual snack bar but you may still bring your own food and drinks*
- Pregnant women and children three years and under are not permitted for safety reasons.
- Not suitable for those with chronic neck or back problems or elderly people with limited mobility.
- Our vessel is not wheelchair accessible and steps are used for boarding.
- If you need special accommodation, please call 831-600-5103 to inquire.
- If you are prone to seasickness there’s a good chance you’ll get seasick unless you do something to prevent it! If you’re not sure, it’s better safe than sorry! Doctors prescribe motion sickness patches (we’ve found those work the best) or you can get motion sickness pills over the counter.
- An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public space where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, senior citizens and guests with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. By taking a tour with Blue Ocean Whale Watch, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. For the health and safety of all guests and employees, passengers and crew members are required to wear a face mask for the duration of the tour beginning at check-in. You also agree to abide by social distancing measures implemented on board.
Once tickets are purchased, there are no refunds.
Sea conditions can be unpredictable and weather reports are not always accurate. Trips are subject to cancellation if the captain determines sea conditions to be unsafe for passengers. If a trip is cancelled due to weather, a full refund is issued or you can reschedule for another trip.
It is advised to provide reliable contact information in your reservation so we may call you in advance if a trip is cancelled.
Check out our independent real reviews on Trip Advisor, Google places & Yelp.
Our Trip Advisor rating is 5 out of 5!
We also have loads of testimonials from clients who have been on the Monterey whale watching trips.
Still not convinced? How about having a read through our blog posts where we list the days events and you can see all the photos of the days action: -)
‘My husband, 2.5 year old and I went on their 2.19.2011 Maiden Voyage. The owners are amicable, personable, warm and knowledgeable people that made us as comfortable as they could. Our son has not stopped talking about the “big boat” since we came home and it was fun to see the orcas so up close! We will take a trip with them again in the future.’
‘Great trip! Very nice boat. Captain Jim and Kate were terrific as well as the volunteer crew! Guaranteed whale sightings or your next trip is free. Fun trip all around. We only saw dolphins on our trip, no whales, so as advertised, Captain Jim and Kate invited us to come back for another trip at no charge. You won’t find this level of customer service anywhere else! We highly recomend Blue Ocean Whale Watch!’
‘We saw much more than we expected. In the 80s we saw no whales and no dolphins either. We saw many gray whales and tons of dolphins of a few varieties. I’m glad I went with this company. We had a variety of places to go–the wheelhouse, up on the upper deck with seating, the bow, with seating, or the rear deck, or you could go below. The boat was really comfortable and the captain and naturalist were really nice. We will use Blue Ocean again this summer–our parents want to go out. Great company.’
‘My first official whale watching experience and could not have asked for anything better…weather was perfect, boat was a sweet sturdy 60′ Chris Craft with plenty of space and vantages. Very friendly, experienced and accommodating crew. Saw some Gray whales, lots of otters, jellies, sea lions, kelp forests and various fish. Highly recommend Blue Ocean and definitely plan on doing another venture with them in the future.’